Penn Student-Athletes conduct ISTEP Pep Rally at Bittersweet Elementary SchoolPosted on February 23, 2018
Penn High School student-athletes are used to encouraging fellow high school students to pursue excellence in the classroom or in the athletic arena.
On Friday, Feb. 23, 2018, Kingsmen student-athletes were encouraging Bittersweet Elementary Students to try their best on the upcoming ISTEP. The ISTEP testing window is Monday, Feb. 26 – Friday, March 9, 2018.
Penn High School’s Student-Athlete Leadership Council staged an ISTEP Pep Rally to encouraged third, fourth and fifth-graders to prepare and make their best effort on the upcoming state-standardized tests.
The Kingsmen sprinted into the Bittersweet Gym and dished out high-fives to nearly 300 Bittersweet students who were gathered there. Student-Athletes Noah Applegate, Payton Kerr and Brandon Stahl then performed a inspirational ISTEP rap.
After that, Notre Dame Football recruit Paul Moala conducted an ISTEP preparation activity called “Are You Smarter Than a High School Student?”
An exhibition of soccer skills by Molly McLaughlin and Brandon Stahl demonstrated the value of teamwork, focus and preparation, while a basketball relay stressed the importance of encouraging others and always trying your best.
The Kingsmen also shared their tips for ISTEP success with students, and closed the session out by distributing baseball cards featuring the Student-Athlete Leadership Council members. The baseball cards included background information on the Kingsmen student-athletes, advice to youngsters and ISTEP tips.
Members of Penn’s Student-Athlete Leadership Council are:
- Sara Doi (Girls Basketball, 2016 State Champ, 2018 Regional champion)
- Mackenzie Griman (Softball, state RBI leader, team ranked in Top 10 in the nation last year, Butler recruit)
- Maya Lacognato (2X State Champion Girls Soccer, nation’s No. 1 team)
- Kendra Laidig (Girls Track, Lilly Scholar)
- Molly McLaughlin (2X State Champion Girls Soccer, nation’s No. 1 team)
- Mallory Newman (Softball, team ranked in Top 10 in the nation last season)
- Noah Applegate (Basketball, the sixth 1,000-point scorer in Penn Boys Basketball history)
- Rockne Hurley (Football and Wrestling State Finalist)
- Payton Kerr (Baseball, State Finalist)
- Paul Moala (Football, State Finalist, Notre Dame recruit)
- James Morris (Football State Finalist, first-team all-state)
- Brandon Stahl (Soccer, Top 10 in the State last season)
Last Modified April 5, 2019